“If you use personal cell phones and internet for work, you are entitled to some level of reimbursement.”
2018 Employment Law Highlights:
Denise Combs, SPHR, CTA, Managing Founder and Executive Consultant and Coach
Employment Law Seminar Update (as of January 1 2018) shared some powerful stuff that will really empower employees in California here are some highlights:
1. It is illegal for employers to ask about previous pay in a job interview.
2. Ban the Box: if you were convicted as a felon and have paid your dues, there is no box for you to check in an application, (huge benefits to first impressions). The only way criminal history will come up is in a background check, which would effect conditional terms of a job offering. Many positions don’t require this.
3. Employers cannot voluntarily let ICE in to their place of business without a warrant.
4. If you are required to bring your own hand tools to work, then you should be paid at least double the minimum wage ($21 or $22 an hour depending on whether your employer has more than 25 employees or not).
5. If you use personal cell phones and internet for work, you are entitled to some level of reimbursement, depending on the percentage of time such items are utilized for work. #employmentlaw #empowerthepeople